Program code: 3621
School: School of Engineering Technology and Applied Science
Credential: Ontario College Diploma
Program Type: Fast-track program
Program Length: 1 year/ 2 semesters
Start Date: Fall, Winter
Location: Morningside Campus
Tel: 416-289-5000, ext. 8123
Qualified college or university graduates (please see the Admission Requirements section for more information) gain direct admission into year two (semester three) of this nationally-accredited two-year program and receive their diploma in one year (two semesters). This program prepares you to work as a bench technician in the food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries.
This program proves thorough practical training in industrial microbiology as well as chemistry – analytical, organic and biochemistry. Laboratory techniques, including appropriate safety procedures, are extensively highlighted. A special feature of the program is our focus on the project approach, with independently designed microbiology projects that enhance your problem-solving and research skills.
You may graduate in one year as a biotechnological or continue for a second year to study specialized topics such as advanced biotechnology and microbial genetics or systematic microbiology, graduating as a biotechnology - Advanced.
You will learn to:
- Isolate, enumerate and identify microorganisms from many types of samples (water, soil, air, your body, food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic products)
- Prepare specimens for staining and become an expert light-microscopist
- Become proficient in aseptic handling of materials
- Accurately calibrate and use a range of instruments such as pH and BOD meter, Gas Chromatographs, spectrophotometers (regular/IR/UV) and HPLC’s
- Prepare microbiological media and reagents, culture pathogenic microbes
- Design and perform your own microbiology experiments
- Use microorganisms to assay pharmaceutical products
|Semester 3 Courses|
||Microbiology Project 1
||College Communications 2
|Semester 4 Courses|
||Microbiology Project 2
||Recombinant DNA Technology
||Report Writing in a Technical Environment
||Global Citizenship: From Social Analysis to Social Action
- Graduates may apply for certification through Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) to use the following professional designation: Certified Technician (CTech)
- We are the only Industrial Microbiology program in Ontario
- Eight up-to-date laboratories and modern wireless lecture facilities
- Thorough laboratory training, starting from the basics up to professional skills
- Theory is combined with on-going laboratory work
- High program graduation rate and student satisfaction
- Training in GMP and HACCP to industry standards
- Qualified and caring faculty and staff provide individual attention in laboratories
- Teamwork skills are encouraged and developed
- Qualified graduates may apply to enter the third year of the Biotechnology - Advanced program
Graduates typically start their careers as quality control technicians in a broad range of industries, including:
- Related government agencies
CTAB Nationally Accredited Program
The Biotechnology program has met the national technology accreditation requirements established by the Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists (CCTT) and, as such, has received national accreditation status by the Canadian Technology Accreditation Board (CTAB).
Recognition as a Certified Engineering Technician/Technologist
The Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) recognizes the Biotechnology program as meeting all the academic requirements for certification in the Technician category.
The Biotechnology program is a repeat recipient of the Centennial College President’s Academic Program Recognition Award for outstanding student satisfaction.
The qualification requirements and costs for each external accreditation, designation, certification or recognition are set by the granting body, not by Centennial College. In order to qualify for any external accreditations, designations, certifications or recognitions, students and graduates will need to follow the processes and meet the applicable requirements listed on the websites and in the materials of those external bodies.
- College diploma or university degree in chemistry/biology or engineering, or related discipline
- National accreditation supports program quality and provides mobility for graduates
- Program length provides timely access to job market