Language Proficiency Information
All applicants to Centennial College must demonstrate an acceptable level of English language proficiency in order to be considered for admission.
1. Most programs require that applicants meet a minimum academic English prerequisite of compulsory grade 12 English or equivalent.
2. Post graduate programs require that applicants successfully complete two consecutive full years of secondary or post-secondary education in Canada in English or in a school and country where English is the primary language of instruction and communication. Satisfactory academic progress must be demonstrated.
3. Applicants to the following programs must complete three consecutive full years of secondary or post-secondary education in Canada in English or in a school and country where English is the primary language of instruction and communication:
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Pharmacy Technician*
- Practical Nursing or Practical Nursing Flex
- Workplace Wellness and Health Promotion
The Pharmacy Technician program is accredited by the Canadian Council for Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs (CCAPP). It is a requirement of accreditation that candidates whose first language is not English meet one of the benchmarks as outlined by National Association of Pharmacy Regulatory Authorities (NAPRA 2009).
4. Applicants whose first language is not English may meet English proficiency requirements by providing satisfactory results in one of the following English Language proficiency tests. (*please see NAPRA link for acceptable scores for Pharmacy Technician.)
5. Applicants may also meet the English proficiency requirement by writing the Centennial College Language Skills Assessment for admission purposes. The assessment may involve reading, writing and/or listening. The minimum score required can differ depending on the program.
The minimum scores acceptable are listed below:
|Certificate and Diploma Programs *||Degree and Diploma Programs **||Other Programs ***|
80+ minimums of 20 for the Internet-based test
84+ minimums of 21 for the Internet-based test
88+ minimums of 22 for the Internet based test
|MELAB||Score of 76||Score of 78||Score of 82|
|IELTS||6.0 with no band score less than 5.5||6.5 with no band score less than 6.0||6.5 with no band score less than 6.0.
Additional English language communications clinic sessions will be required and assigned for any single band score area below 6.5
|CAEL||Overall 60||Overall 60; Writing score 60||Overall 70; Writing score 60|
|Pearson Test of English (Academic)||51+||58+||60+|
|International Test of English Proficiency (iTEP)||3.7+||3.9+||4.1+|
|Cambridge English Exams: Proficiency (CPE), Advanced (CAE), First (FCE)||167-169||170-179||180+|
* With English Level COMM 160/161
** With English Level COMM 170/171
*** Fast Track Diploma, Post Graduate Diploma and Ontario Graduate Certificate Programs
Note: Some programs may require a successful score in the College Language Skills Assessment in addition to a grade 12 English grade or equivalent for admission consideration.