English Language Learning
Program Code: 6519
School: School of Advancement
Program Type: Certificate program
Program Length: 2 years/ 6 semesters
Start Date: Fall, Winter, Summer
Location: Progress Campus
Telephone: 416-289-5000, ext. 2159
The English Language Learning program (ELL) is an intensive, six-level, full-time program designed for international students who wish to improve their English skills. This program can help build English Language skills for success in college, university or careers.
All six levels of the English Language Learning program run each semester and you are placed in a level based on a diagnostic placement test. Within each level, there are five different "modules", and each "module" runs for three weeks. You can start the program at the beginning of any module, depending on your date of arrival.
The program emphasizes academic communication skills and focuses on grammar, reading, writing, listening, speaking and pronunciation. You study in a supportive academic environment and build your language skills through communicative activities, practical exercises, group work, presentations and assignments. You have access to resources such as the college library and computer labs.
The English Language Learning program provides a tailored learning experience for each student based on separate skill levels, which makes it unique. If, for example, your speaking skill is very good, you are placed in a higher level Listening/Speaking class than, for example, Grammar/Reading/Writing level. All students must take a diagnostic placement test to ensure correct placement.
The ELL program is based on modern teaching and learning practices. Faculty members are qualified, dedicated ESL teaching professionals who provide instruction plus support, encouragement, and guidance.
- Level One: Elementary
- Level Two: Beginner
- Level Three: Low Intermediate
- Level Four: Intermediate
- Level Five: High Intermediate
- In the English Language Learning program, you improve your English language skills before your next academic or professional step, while qualifying to study at Centennial College full-time and transition to other Centennial programs such as English for Academic Purposes (EAP).
- You meet the English requirements for the workplace, for education and for everyday life.
- The program gives you the flexibility to be an active participant in your own learning.
- During your time in the offering, you have the opportunity to live in the college residence and meet others from many different cultures.
- You receive 375 of instruction per semester with regular diagnostic appraisals to measure class progress.
- Upon completion, you will be able to live at ease in an English-speaking environment or return home with a greater understanding of English and Canadian culture.
- Career preparation
- College preparation
- University preparation
- Course preparation
- This program is designed for international students who wish to upgrade their English skills. If you are an international student and are interested in this program, please contact the Centennial College International Centre.
- You cannot apply to this program at Ontariocolleges.ca.
- Students who are Canadian citizens or have permanent landed status and want to upgrade their English skills should consider Program 6616 - English for Academic Purposes.
- Download, print and complete our English Language Learning (ELL) Application Form
- Email email@example.com and attach a scanned copy of the completed application form and scanned copies of your academic transcripts (Note: If you have taken an English test within the last two years, include a scanned copy. However, prior English proficiency testing is not required for admission to this program).
- Contact your Regional Admissions Team member to check your application status.
- Upon receiving an offer of acceptance, pay your fees to secure a seat in your program.
- Apply for a study permit using your Centennial College offer letter, fee receipt and other documents required by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (www.cic.gc.ca).
- Notify the admissions team if your study permit application is approved.
- Congratulations! Plan to complete your registration in person upon arrival at the Centennial College International Centre (Hard copies of your original documents, passport and study permit are required).
Please note: Students who are Canadian citizens or have permanent landed status and want to upgrade their English skills should consider Program 6616 - English for Academic Purposes.