What if I don't meet the minimum requirements?

If you do not meet the minimum English requirement or you have no documentation as to prior English language assessment, you may still qualify for admission to Centennial in one of three ways:

  1. By writing Centennial College’s English assessment test.
  2. By applying to an English preparatory program called English Language Learning (ELL)
  3. By accepting an alternate offer to one of our foundation programs College & University Preparation 

English as a Second Language (ESL)
The English as a Second Language program is offered through our School of Continuing Education, and is designed for basic-level students. Applicants must have some ability in basic oral and written communication and a desire to learn more English for personal, educational or career development.

English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
Admission requirements for the English for Academic Purposes program are as follows:

  • High school diploma or equivalent
  • Aged 19 years or older, if without a diploma
  • Proof of completion of a beginner's level of English-language training

Please Note: You may be required to take additional English courses to be successful in your program of study.  If you have qualified for admission to Centennial in one of the three ways above (without TOEFL, EILTS, MELAB, or CAEL documentation) you will be asked to write an English assessment for placement purposes.  The placement assessment will assist your Academic Advisor in assigning you to the correct English course in your program model route.