Maintaining Your Status as You Study and Work in Canada

Maintaining Your Status as You Study and Work in Canada

Study Permit – Do You Know When Yours Expires?

Make sure you know when your study permit expires – put it in your phone, write it in your calendar, tell your family! If your study permit expires before you complete your program, you will need to apply for an extension to be able to continue studying in Canada. We recommend that you apply for an extension online through MyCIC approximately 90 days before the expiry date.

Being Compliant

It is extremely important to remember that, if you have a study permit, you are expected to actively pursue your studies. This means:

  • You must be enrolled and remain enrolled at a designated learning institution (such as Centennial College).
  • You must make reasonable and timely progress continuously towards completing your program of study.

If you do not comply with above conditions, it could lead to your removal from Canada. Academic institutions, such as Centennial College, are required to report to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on your continuous enrolment and academic status; so it is important that you follow the rules and stay in compliance.

Working While Studying

If you will be enrolled in a post-secondary or graduate level program at Centennial College, you may be eligible to work part-time while you study full-time. In order to be eligible, your study permit must have conditions or remarks that state you “may accept employment on or off campus” or “may work 20 hours per week off-campus”. You can learn more about your eligibility to work off-campus on the Government of Canada website.

HireCentennial and CCSAI are good places to start to look for employment on and off campus.

Before you begin working, you will need to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

How to Apply for a SIN

You need to have one of the following documents in order to apply for a SIN:

  • A valid study permit that states you "may accept employment" or "may work" in Canada; or
  • A valid work permit (co-op or post-graduation work permit)

If you are eligible to work in Canada as an international student but you do not have one of the above documents, you must first obtain a corrected study permit before you can apply for a SIN. Check conditions and remarks on your study permit and:

  • If your study permit does not state you "may accept employment" or "may work", submit a request for an amendment to your study permit. There is no fee for this request.
  • If your study permit states "This does not permit the holder to engage in off-campus employment in Canada" and you have become eligible to work on or off campus without a work permit (i.e. you have transferred to an eligible program of study), you must apply to change the conditions of your study permit and pay the $150 fee.

Co-op Work Permit

If you are in a program that requires you to complete a co-op, placement, internship, practicum or clinical, you must have a Co-op Work Permit before you begin. Applying for a COWP is easy and free, but processing times fluctuate and can sometimes take several months or even longer – so we encourage you to apply for your Co-op Work Permit as soon as possible!

Working After Graduation

Once you have successfully completed your program, you will need a PGWP to work in Canada. You have 90 days from the last day of your last semester, or before your study permit expires (whichever comes first), to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.

Most of Centennial College’s post-secondary and post-graduate programs are eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. The length of the PGWP is dependent on the length of the program you completed and is determined by IRCC.

Throughout the academic year, the SaGE Team offers workshops on preparing for graduation and PGWP application procedures. Be sure to attend to receive important information on the guidelines and procedures to graduate and how to apply for a PGWP.

Preparing for Your Time at Centennial

Preparing for Centennial

View more
Arriving in Canada

Arriving in Canada

View more
Getting Settled In

Getting Settled In

View more