Living on campus: Roommate Discussion Points + Questions
Here are some questions you should ask your roommate as soon as you move in.
- Are you planning to share food?
- Consider an agreement about who is to purchase which necessity items and how frequently? (Such as milk, bread, etc.)
- Determine a rotation for purchasing groceries
- Keep in mind any allergies or dietary needs that you may need to discuss
- Create a list of jobs
- Determine a rotation for cleaning common area and washroom
- Determine how often the garbage and recycling will be taken out
- Who will bring what cleaning products?
- Times as to when you may want to have privacy
- What will the arrangement be for being equal and respectful to each other’s privacy?
Sharing of Personal Items:
- What do you agree to share or not share?
(Such as: Dishes, utensils, CDs, books, clothing, paper towel, toilet paper, computers, appliances, etc.)
- What do you need to ask permission to use before using?
- Set guidelines and limits for sharing
- What are acceptable times for having guests over?
- How frequently do you plan to study each week?
- What do you plan to do in the room, while your roommate is studying to promote healthy study habits?
- How often in a week can friends come over and how many at a time?
- How do you plan to notify your roommate when you expect guests?
- Are guests of the opposite sex acceptable?
- What is an acceptable TV and stereo volume?
- How frequently do you plan to have overnight guests?
- How far in advance do you want to be told about your roommate having an overnight guest?
- Are there any limitations to when a guest can or cannot stay over?
(i.e. Mid-terms, exams)
- Are there any rules that will be enforced to respect each other’s privacy while guests are over?
Smoking, Drinking, Drugs:
- Do you drink alcohol?
- What are your drinking habits?
- Discuss how smoking, drinking and the use of drugs may affect one another
- If one or both roommates smoke, you may have to discuss ways to reduce the smell of smoke in the room remains on clothing
- How frequently do you plan to party in Residence?
- How social are you?
- Discuss ways you can socialize which are reasonable and conducive to both of you enjoying the Residence experience