What is Career Counselling All About?
Often students at Centennial College request “Career Counselling”, but they are not exactly sure what is involved in Career Counselling. This information sheet outlines some of the services that we provide: College Program Counselling
- Am I in the right program at college?
- What will my current program lead to in the job market?
- How do I find Labour Market Information?
- Do I need to transfer to another program at the college?
- Should I transfer to university? Another college?
- Strong interest inventory to find out how your interests relate to specific careers or college programs
- Career Cruising
- Self Directed Search
- Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) to understand your personality type
Career Planning: What It Really Means
Good career planning means several things and they’re all important. It means:
Knowing yourself: You need to know what your likes and dislikes are. You need to know which you lack as well as which skills you could develop over time. It’s also really important to know what things in life are important to you and what your values are.
Understanding the world of work: That’s not easy, especially these days when everything seems to be changing all at once. Understanding the world of work means that you learn something about trends in the job market. It means you get some idea of how this market has changed in recent years as we’ve moved into what some people call the new economy. Finally, it’s important to learn how to research different careers and find out what they’re all about. That way you’re not guessing about what they involve or relying on somebody else’s opinion. Instead, you base your planning on solid information.
Making a decision based on the above: That means using what you’ve learned about yourself and the world of work to come to some conclusions. Yes, it’s a big decision. It’s also an often difficult and painful decision because it involves lots of information and some tough choices. On the other hand, the payoffs are huge, starting with far greater possibilities of career satisfaction and success.
Centennial Counselling and Career Centre
- Progress Campus Rm. C1-03 416-289-5000 ext. 2627
- Ashtonbee Campus Rm. A1-11. 416-289-5000 ext. 7252
- Morningside Campus Rm. 190 – 416-289-5000 ext. 8025
- Centre for Creative Communications Rm. 285 ext. 7252