Novel Coronavirus Frequently Asked Questions
Novel Coronavirus Frequently Asked Questions
Last updated: March 20, 2020, 1:57 PM
On March 17, Centennial College made the difficult decision to close its campuses and learning sites, including our libraries, computer labs, fitness facilities, student centres and bookstores. The frequently asked questions and answers below will help you stay up to date on what services are available online and by email and phone.
Centennial suspended classes for the week of March 16 to 20 to give faculty time to shift their course lessons to “teach from a distance.” Some courses can be transitioned easily, while courses that involve hands-on training will require more creative solutions that take longer to implement.
Some remote teaching will begin on Monday, March 23. Students are asked to log into their myCentennial account to connect with their program faculty to learn which classes are ready for delivery on March 23.
To accommodate for the new curriculum delivery model, Centennial will likely extend the winter semester beyond April 17. We recommend you visit this page regularly, and check the StudentHub and your myCentennial email often for the most recent information on academic continuity, new dates and deadlines, and other important College announcements.
Thank you for your patience. By working together with resolve and compassion, we will navigate through this extraordinary challenge to complete a remarkable year of learning.
- How are students being supported?
- Will new students be taught via distance education?
- Are you still accepting applications?
- When is the last date to arrive for the May 2020 semester?
- IELTS testing is currently suspended in my region. How can I meet the English requirements?
- What English assessment test placement level do I need for admission into my program?
- I did not get the placement level needed for my program. Can I retake the test?
- Can international students still apply?
- Can accepted international students still enrol?
- How can I defer my start date at Centennial College?
- Which countries are unable to apply for May 2020?
- How might COVID-19 affect my study permit?
- Will online classes affect Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) eligibility?
- Can I work full-time while classes are off? Is this considered an “official break?”
- Will the closure affect convocation?
- What support is available through guard.me? *Updated
- Can international students with a valid study permit travel to Canada? *New
- Can I travel back to my home country while classes are online? *New
- Can I still apply for a study permit to study in Canada? *New
- What is the status of our day care centres? Do they remain open?
- With the spread of COVID-19, who do I speak with if I am experiencing stress and/or am worried about my family, friends/loved ones overseas?
- Will I still be able to access tutoring through the Centre for Academic English? *New
- Are any facilities or services open at the College?
- How can I obtain a copy of my transcript? *New
- Will the Centennial Place Residence at Progress Campus remain open?
- What is Centennial Place’s COVID-19 prevention plan?
- Does anyone in my community have the Coronavirus *Updated
- How do I know that Centennial Place employees are not infected (specifically when they are entering my home) *Updated
- Can I get out of my lease due to illness or inability to return to my home due to quarantine?
- What are the plans regarding students who may need to be quarantined, especially if one roommate becomes exposed or ill? How will you plan to protect the other roommates?
- Will you provide your residents with disinfectant to sanitize their rooms, especially as it is not easy to come by right now?
- What do I do if I am sick?
- Who is monitoring the travel of my roommates and neighbors?
- Are the ventilation systems central or does a ventilation system exist on each floor? If it is central, is there any possibility of turning off the ventilation system until this outbreak comes to a stop?
- Why are we being asked to not travel outside Canada? *Updated
- What should I do if I recently returned from an area with a travel health notice and develop flu symptoms?
- What are my chances of getting the coronavirus?
- How can I best protect myself from getting COVID-19, or any other virus?
- Why should I get the flu shot when it doesn't protect me from the novel coronavirus?
- Where can I get the flu shot?
- There is a lot of information online about COVID-19. How can I know what is and isn't true?