Centennial students win big at Ontario and Canada skills competitions
Centennial College sent 42 students – its biggest team ever – to the Ontario Skills Competition on May 1 to 3 this year, and they returned with seven gold, silver and bronze medals. By any measure it's a great result for Centennial's team at what is Canada's largest skilled trade and technology competition.
Student competitors were put to the test in a range of contests – such as robotics, culinary arts and automotive service – and judged on their skills related to their field, as well as their job interview and other related "soft" skills. In addition to gold, silver and bronze medals, some winners were presented with monetary awards, as well.
Centennial students representing three of the college's schools – Transportation, Engineering Technology and Applied Science, and Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts – were on hand to do their best against other post-secondary institutions in the province. Centennial's medal-winning students are:
- Colin Bailey – gold in Auto Collision Repair
- Catherine Mathewson – gold in Auto Painting
- Ridwan Ally – silver in Truck & Coach Mechanic
- YongLiang Rong – silver in Electronics
- Jose Renan Matienzo – silver in IT & Network Support
- Aimann Balatayo & Ezra Frigillana – bronze in Mechatronics Team
- Matthew Chin – bronze in Refrigeration
The annual skills competition features 67 skilled trades and technologies contests involving 2,100 competitors from high schools and colleges across Ontario. More than 20,000 spectators took in the event over two and a half days at the Toronto Congress Centre.
Great news from the 2017 Skills Canada National Competition in Winnipeg!
Gold medal winners Catherine Mathewson and Colin Bailey went on to the Skills Canada National Competition in Winnipeg, Manitoba at the end of May. They were joined by Gerrit Den Ouden from the college’s Powersports Products Repair program. All of our competitors ended up doing a fantastic job at the nationals:
- Colin Bailey – gold medal in Auto Collision Repair
- Gerrit Den Ouden – silver medal in Small Outdoor Power
- Catherine Mathewson – bronze medal in Auto Painting
Our congratulations to all of our competitors, and to the Centennial College faculty and staff who assisted in their preparation for both the Ontario Skills Competition and the 2017 Skills Canada National Competition!