P.O Box 631 Station A
Toronto, ON, M1K 5E9
Dean's Recognition 'Apple' Awards
Dean's Recognition 'Apple' Awards
Creating a work environment that inspires our employees to strive and achieve ever greater professional or personal growth. Providing Centennial employees opportunities for sanctioned involvement with community projects, and giving recognition for such work. Fostering a collaborative, creative, solution-oriented work environment where the contributions of all staff are recognized, valued and respected. Dean’s recognition award can be added to the recipients CV.
In-line with the Book of Commitments, second edition, June 2013 - Commitment #1 and #5
In-line with the Academic Plan (2013-2020) - Theme #3 and #6
As the world becomes smaller, our role in it-and the role of our students-must become larger. To this end, we will strive to become an internationally recognized leader in education that places a strong emphasis on global citizenship, social justice and equity.
- Promotes equity and inclusiveness (in and beyond) by selecting appropriate and relevant strategies.
- In line with the Signature Learning Experience. Promotes values associated with global citizenship, social justice and equity (in and beyond) the classroom and work environment in a variety of ways (like cross-cultural learning experiences, international projects and case studies, international student exchanges and internship opportunities)
- Demonstrates competencies as a global citizen and leader.
- Is aware of the wider world and has a sense of their own role as a world citizen.
- Respects and values diversity.
- Has an understanding of how the world works economically, politically, socially, culturally.
- Is actively involved in issues of social justice.
- Participates in and contributes to the community at a range of levels from local to global.
- Realizes the importance of reaffirming or developing a sense of identity and self-esteem.
- Addresses inequality within and outside school.
- Has a willingness to learn from the experiences of others around the world.
- Is willing to act to make the world a more sustainable place.
- Through volunteerism/service learning, international work efforts, international student placements whose experiences are shared and thereby enrich the learning environment.
Excellence in Teaching
In line with the Book of Commitments, second edition, June 2013 - Commitment #3 and #5
In line with the Academic Plan (2013-2020) - Theme #7 and #9
An excellent teacher contributes positively to an inclusive, safe and inspiring learning environment by providing exceptional energy, keen interest in students, or staff and extraordinary strengths in the following:
- Fostering the development of individuals and their intellectual, social, emotional and physical growth.
- Establishing a stimulating and inspiring learning environment.
- Motivating individuals to exceed their own expectations.
- Being involved in professional growth activities.
- Demonstrating caring for the well-being of students and colleagues, thereby contributing to a positive school environment.
- Introducing or applying successful or proven practices or approaches new to a classroom or a school.
- Adapting approaches advocated in the literature or elsewhere for specific contexts of teaching and learning.
- Championing a successful or proven approach throughout a school or school district/division.
- Developing resources or materials that complement an existing approach.
- Developing and sharing best practices (including student success strategies).
- Implementing new strategies to improve student satisfaction results.
Looking Beyond the Traditional Model ‘Outside the Box’
In-line with the Book of Commitments, second edition, June 2013 - Commitment #2 and #5
In-line with the Academic Plan (2013-2020) - Theme #2 and #8
Breaking away from traditional or conventional thoughts, practices or teaching strategies/methodologies to develop a unique, superior solution and best practice
Demonstrating strength, determination and courage to initiate change in a thoughtful and strategic manner in the pursuit of establishing innovative strategies to improve practices. Individuals will:
- Demonstrate a willingness to consider and challenge existing perspectives and practices.
- Focus on the value of finding new ideas and best practices and acting on them and by sharing their findings.
- Create a student-centred solution or product which challenges existing norms exceed expectations.
Innovation and Scholarship
In-line with the Book of Commitments, second edition, June 2013 - Commitment #4
In-line with the Academic Plan (2013-2020) - Theme #7
This award is given to an individual who is actively involved in initiating, implementing or evaluating innovative strategies that support the strategic plan of the SCHS. This award also may be given to individuals that demonstrate an engagement in scholarship and research activities that help the program meet accreditation standards and the school's mandate to increase its scholarship and research capacity.
- Demonstrate engagement in research activities to advance the profession or teaching discipline, show evidence of active involvement in innovative initiatives that result in best practices, within and beyond the school, or disseminate knowledge through publications or other forms of knowledge transfer.
- Involvement in scholarship activities that include knowledge sharing at places like forums, conferences, school meetings, informal or formal settings)
Leadership: A Community Leader or Fostering Student Leadership
In line with the Book of Commitments, second edition, June 2013 commitment #5 and #7
In line with the Academic Plan and theme #7 and #8 (2013-2020)
This award focuses on an employee’s competencies as a community leader or as a mentor to provide educational opportunities that challenge our students to discover the leaders inside themselves.
- Initiative – Demonstrates ability to take charge by creating or developing a program, project, or activity that impacts the community. Has a personal commitment to see the project through to its resolution with determined effort.
- Creativity – Develops or proposes creative ways to accomplish the goals and objectives of the project.
- Dedication – Is recognized by others for being dedicated to achieving the desired results. Accomplishes much within the community by his or her pursuit, courage, enthusiasm, and zeal.
- Recognition - Recognized by others for their commitment to the success of the initiative.
- Strategic – Developing new community partnerships.
Fostering Student Leadership
- Providing international experiences, including study abroad and working collaboratively with the international department and COLT.
- Organizing, implementing and evaluating student leadership opportunities. Could include:
- Student participation in on-campus leadership opportunities.
- International experience.
- Involvement in applied research.
In line with the Book of Commitments, second edition, June 2013 commitment #8
In line with the Academic Plan and theme #8 (2013-2020)
This award is given to an individual who demonstrates exceptional support with the college community to strengthen the learning or work experience.
- Establishes and maintains a client-centered approach in all interactions.
- Establishes a safe, respectful and effective environment. Diffuses challenging situations.
- Demonstrates initiative and active involvement in school-wide activities.
- Seeks opportunities to further define, expand and develop their support role.