Home Student Life Residence Frequently Asked Questions

Apply Now

Now renting for 2017-2018


Centennial Place
937 Progress Avenue,
Toronto, Ontario,
M1G 3T8

Tel : 416-438-2216


Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

What is Centennial Place’s mailing address?

937 Progress Ave. Scarborough, ON M1G 3T8.

How can I contact the Centennial Place?

We can be reached by telephone at 416-438-2216 ext. 6294 or via email at centennialresidence@studenthousing.com.

How will Centennial Place contact me?

We will contact students using the email address they used to apply to Centennial Place, by telephone, or in-person (current residents only).

I am a student with a disability; will Centennial Place be able to accommodate me?

Absolutely! We have AODA-compliant 2-Bedroom, 1-Bathroom (Private) rooms built to accommodate students with different abilities. Please be sure to include this in your application and we will be happy to assist you.

Application Process

When can I apply?

Centennial Place is now accepting applications for Fall 2017. Rooms are allocated on a first-come, first-serve basis. An application does not guarantee you a space. To guarantee your space, you must submit your signed and completed Residence Agreement to the Centennial Place Office, make your first installment payment, and receive confirmation of your space from our office prior to moving in.

How can I check that you received my application?

You can email or call the Centennial Place Office to request confirmation of your received application and/or signed Residence Agreement by calling 416-438-2216 or via e-mail.

How do I pay the $250 security deposit and $100 application fee?

We accept a variety of payment methods including all major credit cards, debit, or certified cheque/money order. The $100 application fee is for new applicants only. If you are renewing your current Residence Agreement, the $100 application fee is waived and you must only submit your renewal application. 

Where can I check to find out if Centennial Place received my payment?

You can check by contacting the Centennial Place Office at 416-438-2216 or via e-mail. 

I am an international student. How can I pay?

International students have the option to pay by credit card online through our website at www.centennial-place.ca by clicking on 'Make A Payment' form our homepage.

How does the admissions process work?

  1. Apply online by clicking the “Apply Now” tab in the top right corner of our website. 
  2. Fill out all required (*) information on the application and continue through the application to the payment page. New applicants must submit both, 1) the $250 security deposit, and 2) the $100 application fee. These fees are only required for new, incoming applicants; renewing applicants are not required to make this payment a second time.
  3. Centennial Place will send a Residence Agreement to you once your application has been received and reviewed. Once you receive your Residence Agreement, please review, sign, and submit it to the Centennial Place Office via email at centennialresidence@studenthousing.com. 
  4. Once your signed Residence Agreement has been received, reviewed, and accepted, your space is reserved. 
  5. Room assignments for Fall 2017 will take place during the summer, at which point incoming applicants will have the opportunity to use an online selection tool to pick your roommate/suitemate(s).  
  6. Students will receive room assignments no sooner than one week prior to move-in day.
  7. The official move-in date for Fall 2017 is September 3rd, 2017.

Do I get my application fee back if I withdraw?

No, application fees are non-refundable. Only the $250 security deposit is refundable.

Am I guaranteed a bed/room?

Residence rooms are offered on a first-come, first-serve basis. Once we are at capacity, we begin accepting applications for our waitlist. Apply early to secure a room.

What if there is a waitlist?

We encourage students to still apply and hold a position on our waitlist. We can’t guarantee anyone on the waitlist a space, but we will do our best to accommodate everyone. 

Where do I indicate a preference for a shared or private room?

This is done on your application form. Please note there are a variety of suite styles, and we cannot guarantee your preference is available, however we will do our best to meet your request. The room styles offered at Centennial Place are a 4-Bedroom, 2-Bathroom; and three options for a 2-Bedroom, 1-Bathroom (Private, Deluxe, and Shared). Please see our Floor Plans and Rates page for more details on suite layouts.

How are my roommates selected if I don't list a friends' name?

During the Summer, we send out a Roommate Selection tool (MyCollegeRoomie) to all accepted students that have returned their signed Residence Agreements and have been approved to live at Centennial Place. At this time, students can pick their roommates through MyCollegeRoomie.  Note that both residents must request each other in order to be placed together. This service is not offered during January (Winter) intake.

Lease Term & Rental Installments

How can I make a payment to Centennial Place?

Visit the Centennial Place website at www.centennial-place.ca and click on “Make A Payment to Centennial Place.”

How much will it cost me to live at Centennial Place?

Our rates vary based on which suite style you have requested. You can view our rates by going to the Floor Plans tab on this website. We require two to three installments, based on the duration of your Agreement, to cover your Residence fees. Failure to submit the full amount of your Residence installments/payments on the due date may result in an involuntary withdrawal of residency and termination of the resident's Agreement.

How do I pay my first installment fee?

Follow the instructions on our website to make a payment online. 

If I am unable to make a payment by the due date, what happens?

Contact the Leasing & Conference Manager through the Centennial Place contact information provided on our website and provide explanation for the delay along with the supporting documentation.  Although the outcome of a request for extension is not guaranteed, it will be considered in a fair manner as long as there is reasonable justification for the extension.

What is my first installment fee?

Rather than accepting monthly payments, Centennial Place requires resident's pay their Residence Fees in two lump-sum payments, each totaling half of the total cost of the Agreement. For example, if you are living in a 4-Bedroom, 2-Bathroom suite, the total cost for the year is $8,120. This means your first installment is $4,060. If you are living in a 2 Bedroom, 1 Bathroom (Shared) suite, your first installment is $3,680. If you are living in a 2 Bedroom, 1 Bathroom (Private) suite, your first installment is $4,240. If you are living in a 2 Bedroom, 1 Bathroom (Deluxe) suite, your first installment is $4,340.

What if I am unable to make my first installment because I am waiting for OSAP (or other funding)?

If you are unable to make your complete first installment payment by July 1st, you must submit documentation in writing to the Director, Housing and Residence Life proof of your funding and the expected delivery date of said funding. The Director, Housing and Residence Life will review all requests for an alternative payment plan for the first installment and approve those with appropriate documentation. Students seeking OSAP support may begin applying for funding in April.

How should I return my Residence Agreement once I have signed it?

Please scan your signed Agreement and submit electronically in PDF form to centennialresidence@studenthousing.com. Please do not send screenshots or phone images of your Agreement in place of a scanned PDF copy. 

What is your Cancellation Policy?

As per the Residence Agreement section 12 “Releases from Agreement,” Centennial Place will terminate Agreements with residents on a strict case-by-case basis, provided the resident meets one of the four following criteria:

  1. Resident is denied admission to Centennial College
  2. Resident is denied study permit or visa
  3. Resident is not enrolled, is academically withdrawn, or is suspended from Centennial College
  4. Resident is able to obtain a replacement for their Lease who meets all requirements necessary to live at Centennial Place, and has not previously applied to live at Centennial Place. Manager must approve all Lease replacements.

There is no payable fee to cancel an Agreement without first meeting one of the above terms and conditions. Residents moving out of Centennial Place prior to the end of their Agreement duration will be held to their payments unless they can provide official documentation illustrating the above conditions have been met. It is the responsibility of the resident to provide this documentation to Centennial Place staff in a timely manner.

Apartment Features

Is cable provided in my room?

Centennial Place has multiple community lounges that have access to cable TV.  We encourage residents to take advantage of those spaces at no cost.  Cable TV is not provided in your individual room but there is a Wi-Fi access point in each suite so that you can enjoy your preferred streaming service.    

Is there furniture in my room?

Yes, all rooms are fully furnished.  For more details please review the Floor Plans section of the website.  Furniture is not allowed to be removed from the unit. 

Is there a phone in my Room?

No. There are no land line phones in resident rooms.  It is the responsibility of the resident to ensure they have an alternative means of communication.

Is kitchenware provided?

No. Residents are responsible for providing their own kitchen supplies, including but not limited to cutlery, plates, drinkware, and cooking utensils. 

Move-In Process

When can I move into Centennial Place?

The official move-in date for Fall 2017 is September 3rd, 2017.

How do I find out who my roommate is?

You may select your roommate(s) in the Summer using our roommate selection tool, MyCollegeRoomie.

What should I bring with me?

For a complete list of what is accepted and what is prohibited at Centennial Place, please review our Resident Community Standards & Handbook, available online, or by contacting a Residence Life Coordinator.

Can I bring a refrigerator?

No, we do not allow students to bring in their own refrigerators. Each suite contains a full-size refrigerator that is sufficient for a shared suite. 

Can I bring my own mattress?

No, we do not allow students to bring in their own mattresses. If you require additional mattress support, we encourage residents to consider bringing a mattress pad or memory foam. Our beds are double-standard size.

How do I connect to the Wi-Fi at Centennial Place?

Centennial Place Residence features high-speed wireless Internet through Airwave Networks. Students must create an account through Airwaves upon moving into Centennial Place (the first time they connect to the network ("CP Resident - Airwave") and may connect to the Wi-Fi with unlimited use.

Residence Life at Centennial Place

Residence Life Staff (RLS)

The Residence Life Staff consists of two full-time professional Residence Life Coordinators (RLC), twelve part-time Residence Assistants (RA), two Senior Residence Assistants (SRA), and two Living Learning Community Ambassadors (LLCA). This team is responsible for offering community development and engagement through exciting programming, leadership opportunities, and event-planning. Residents interested in joining this team should explore the application process made available in the Winter term for the following academic year.

Roommate Conflict

If a resident experiences conflict with one or more roommates, they are encouraged to seek our their Residence Assistant (RA) or other member of the Residence Life Staff (RLS). Our student-leaders are trained in conflict mediation, confrontation skills, active listening, and dispute resolution. If a conflict extends beyond the scope of an RLS member’s ability, that RLS member will seek support from Management.

Room Transfers

Room transfers are only permitted in emergency or extenuating circumstances as approved by the Residence Life Coordinator or Assistant Director, Housing. No room transfers will be offered for roommate conflicts; residents experiencing roommate conflict must request a mediation process with their Residence Assistant (RA), or a member of the professional Residence Life Staff (RLS) team.

Alcohol Policy

Provincial (Ontario) liquor laws prohibit the consumption of alcohol by persons below the legal age of majority (19 years of age). Centennial Place expects that residents in possession of, in the act of consuming, or under the influence of alcohol will be of legal age to do so. Centennial Place also abides by open alcohol restrictions, including our policy that alcohol is only to be consumed in a resident’s unit, and not to be transported or consumed in hallways, lounges, or common spaces such as the lobby or courtyard.