START Smart (Successful Transitions: Advocacy, Resources and Training) is a 2-day pre-orientation program created to support equity-seeking students transition into their first year of college. START smart provides a safe and positive environment for students to explore their fullest potential, meet first-year peers and get connected to Centennial resources.
START Smart is a great way for new incoming students to begin their Centennial College journey. This equity-based program has been developed for students who identify as Indigenous, LGBTQ+, students with disabilities, and students whose second language is English, amongst other groups and communities. Students participating in START Smart are well prepared, more comfortable, more connected and more engaged when they begin college, so don't delay, START Smart!
START Smart Program goals
- To create community-building opportunities for students
- To connect students with specialized Centennial supports including the Centre for Accessible Learning, Indigenous Education Services, Positive Space and Gender Diversity resources, Centre for Academic English and International services
- To connect students to inclusive academic supports including the Learning Centre and Student Success Advisors
START Smart features
- Interactive workshops to ease the transition to college and set you up for success
- Explore how you can get involved on campus
- Hear from upper year student leaders and get an opportunity to ask them questions!
- Get an introduction to key Centennial features including the Experience Centennial app and myCard
Students participating in START Smart are well prepared, more comfortable, more knowledgeable and more engaged when they begin college, so don't delay, START Smart!
START Smart 2019
August 19, 2019, 8.30 AM - 4:00 PM
August 20, 2019, 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM
This is a free event and lunch will be provided on both days.
For more information, or if you have any START Smart questions, please contact Lynda O’ Donovan, Smart Transitions Coordinator at (416) 289-5000, ext. 2219 or firstname.lastname@example.org.