Doing Your Taxes

2018 Income Tax Information

Every year, individuals living in Canada are expected to submit an income tax form to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). As a student, you will have to file your taxes for the previous year. Even if you did not work in 2018, it is recommended that you file your taxes as you may be eligible for a tax refund.

In order to file your taxes, you will need:

  • Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  • Supporting documents such as T2202A – tuition fees paid for the tax year (you can download your T2202A from under the Financial Services tab)
  • T4 – a record of employment if you are working (this will be given to you by your employer)
  • T4A – scholarships and bursaries
  • Living expense receipts, if applicable (rent, medical, etc.)
  • Receipts for donations, expenses for children, if applicable.

There are many ways you can file your taxes for 2018:

For more information, the Canada Revenue Agency has a series of videos to introduce you to the Canadian tax system and details about filing taxes.

*Please note that the information provided above is not a legal document and information is subject to change at any time. For the most up to date information, contact the Canada Revenue Agency.