Social Insurance Number (SIN) Collection FAQs

picture of students in the centennial college progress campus courtyard

Why is Centennial College asking for my Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

Beginning with the 2019 tax year, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) now requires that all Canadian post-secondary institutions collect students’ Social Insurance Numbers (SINs) on Form T2202 (formerly T2202A).

For this reason, students must provide their SIN to Centennial College. Please add your SIN to your myCentennial student portal account in order to receive a tuition tax receipt for the 2019 calendar year and onwards. This is a secure site.

Centennial College issues a T2202 slip in late February to every student with total eligible tuition fees of more than $100 for the tax year. Students may obtain their T2202 forms by logging in to the myCentennial student portal. Tax forms will not be mailed.

For more information about tuition and education tax credits, please refer to the CRA website. You can also read more about the legislation relating to the collection of SINs to prepare T2202 slips.

How can I enter my SIN in the College’s system?

If your SIN is not currently on file with Enrolment Services, you must submit your SIN by following the steps below:

1. Log in to the myCentennial student portal

2. From the Main Menu on the left-hand side of your screen, select “Personal Information”

3. Select “View & Update Student Social Insurance Number (SIN)”

4. Enter and confirm your SIN in the fields provided

5. Click "Submit" once you ensure the information entered is accurate

You will then be taken to a new screen directing you to Enrolment Services if changes to the information submitted are required. All SIN updates will need to be made in person. Please ensure that you bring a valid piece of government issued photo ID and your SIN card/SIN confirmation letter.