Biotechnology - Advanced (Fast Track/Co-op)
As a qualified college or university graduates you may gain direct admission into year two (semester three) of the three-year Biotechnology – Advanced (Fast Track/Co-op) program, and receive your technologist advanced diploma in two years (four semesters plus two work terms).
This nationally accredited program will allow you to discover what lies underneath the microscope lens so that you may obtain a thorough understanding of microbiology and related sciences as well as technical skills used in industrial laboratory work.
More specifically, you will learn about topics such as biotechnology applications, biochemistry, microbial genetics, clinical and environmental microbiology, advanced biotechnology, systematic microbiology and microbial genetics.
Theory will be combined with many opportunities to enhance your experience. Through project work, in consultation with faculty, you will develop skills in research, laboratory techniques, report writing and presentation. In laboratories, you will learn to:
- Isolate, enumerate and identify microorganisms from many types of samples (water, soil, air, your body, food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic products);
- Perfect your aseptic techniques;
- Accurately calibrate and use a range of instruments such as pH and BOD meters, Gas Chromatographs, spectrophotometers (regular/IR/UV), HPLC’s, centrifuges, PCR thermocyclers, Gel electrophoresis equipment etc.;
- Prepare microbiological media and reagents; culture pathogenic microbes;
- Design and perform advanced microbiology and microbial genetics experiments;
- Use microorganisms to assay pharmaceutical products.
To round out your training, you will gain real world experience and get paid for it when you work for two terms in the field. The experience will not only allow you to put classroom learning into practice, but it will also provide valuable contacts for future careers.
Mon, 24 March 2014 08:10:00
Tue, 11 March 2014 02:26:00
Tue, 25 February 2014 23:56:00
Tue, 25 February 2014 23:55:00