Biotechnology (Fast Track)
The Biotechnology (Fast Track) program is for you if you want to gain quick entry into the food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries to work as a bench technician.
If you are a qualified college or university graduate (please see the Admission Requirements section for more information), you will gain direct admission into year two (semester three) of this nationally accredited two-year program and receive your diploma in one year (two semesters).
During your time in this School of Engineering Technology and Applied Science program, you will be prepared with the scientific principles, techniques and skills required in industrial microbiology.
Not only will the Biotechnology (Fast Track) program provide you with thorough practical training in industrial microbiology as well as chemistry – analytical, organic and biochemistry, it will also cover specialized studies such as biochemistry, microbial genetics, and clinical and environmental microbiology.
A special feature of the program will be its focus on the project approach, with independently designed microbiology projects in food, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals that will enhance your problem-solving and research skills. Laboratory techniques, including appropriate safety procedures, will also be extensively highlighted.
In the labs, you will learn to:
- Isolate, enumerate and identify microorganisms from many types of samples (water, soil, air, your body, food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic products);
- Prepare specimens for staining and become an expert light-microscopist;
- Become proficient in aseptic handling of materials;
- Accurately calibrate and use a range of instruments such as pH and BOD meter, Gas Chromatographs, spectrophotometers (regular/IR/UV) and HPLC’s;
- Prepare microbiological media and reagents, culture pathogenic microbes;
- Design and perform your own microbiology experiments;
- Use microorganisms to assay pharmaceutical products.
You may graduate in one year as a biotechnician or continue for a second year to study specialized topics such as advanced biotechnology and microbial genetics or systematic microbiology, and graduate from the Biotechnology – Advanced offering.
Wed, 03 June 2015 11:20:00
Mon, 24 March 2014 08:10:00
Tue, 11 March 2014 02:26:00