Centennial College’s Massage Therapy program is a distinctive and rigorous program that will prepare you for the broad range of career possibilities that exist for Massage Therapists. You could have your own practice with flexible hours; work with sports teams and athletes or within a hospital setting. This hands-on industry-approved program will provide you with the fundamentals of massage therapy skills, with a focus on critical thinking, rehabilitation and business management.
In this program, you will:
- Develop an expertise in dealing with patients seeking relief from a variety of conditions affecting their health and well-being.
- Build your business and research skills to prepare you for a successful business and to advance in the profession of massage therapy.
- Complement your in-class education with clinical placements that will enhance your skills as you work with clients from the community.
- Gain the skills to prepare you for your entrance your entry-to-practice exams after graduation.
If you are interested in completing this program in a shorter period of time, which would include attending school in the fall, winter and summer semester, please click here
When your body houses over 600 muscles and is subjected to constant stress causing injuries, dysfunction and disease, massage therapy treatment can help your physical ability and quality of life.
Massage has long been regarded worldwide as an optimal alternative therapy. The Massage Therapy program focuses on the assessment and hands-on treatment of the muscles, fascia, and joints of the body to improve or maintain physical health, function and mobility. Massage therapy is increasingly recognized as an important avenue of rehabilitation for people recovering from surgery, sports injuries and motor vehicle accidents.
Train with the Best. Our well-established public clinics and outreach opportunities draw many and varied clients to our hands-on practical experiences. You will learn and implement a variety of techniques including: Swedish massage, fascial and rhythmic techniques, trigger point therapy, joint mobilization, remedial exercise, stretching techniques, and a variety of hydrotherapy applications.
Massage Therapy is a regulated health profession in Ontario practiced under the Regulated Health Professions Act, and the Massage Therapy Act. Centennial’s Massage Therapy graduates are greatly valued in the workforce and are highly successful at Ontario’s registration exams, set by the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario.
Graduates may be self-employed or work in multidisciplinary healthcare facilities or hospitals. Sports rehabilitation clinics and health spas represent a growing service sector in North America that will employ graduates. Another emerging market is on-site therapy, typically provided in the workplace by large companies as a health benefit to employees.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates have demonstrated the ability to:
- Conduct a massage therapy practice within an ethical framework
- Develop therapeutic relationships that support health and well-being
- Collect and use client information to determine the appropriateness of massage therapy
- Develop, implement and evaluate a treatment plan
- Maintain professional readiness to ensure quality care
Distinctive Benefits for Centennial Students
- The program’s strong clinical component provides opportunity for supervised practice where a variety of client needs and treatments are assessed and managed
- There is a combination of massage therapy education and entrepreneurial business skills
- Qualified graduates are eligible to write the registration examinations administered by the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario to qualify for Registered Massage Therapist (RMT) designation
- Students have demonstrated an excellent success rate at the CMTO entry-to-practice examinations
Massage Therapy Database Information
College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) registration statistics: (most recent statistics available)
MCQ (written exam) OSCE (oral practical)
2013 96% 96%
2012 96% 100%
2011 100% success 90% success
2010 100% success 97% success
2009 100% 100%
2008 100% 97%
KPI Awards - KPI Awards are awards given to a program based on student satisfaction survey statistics. The Massage Therapy Program here at Centennial College has been awarded the following over the past 5 years:
2012 President’s Academic Program Recognition award for Graduate Satisfaction
President’s Academic Gold Award for Graduate Satisfaction (5 consecutive years)
President’s Academic Program recognition Award for Quality of learning Experience
President’s Academic gold Award for Quality of Learning Experience (5 consecutive years)
Potential Pathways to further education
Qualified graduates may be eligible to further their study with selected academic institutions. These pathways allow graduates to apply academic credit towards further study.
- Athabasca University
The qualification requirements and costs for each external accreditation, designation, certification or recognition are set by the granting body, not by Centennial College. In order to qualify for any external accreditations, designations, certifications or recognitions, students and graduates will need to follow the processes and meet the applicable requirements listed on the websites and in the materials of those external bodies.