Due to yesterday’s winter storm and the clearing needed on roads and sidewalks, Centennial campuses will remain closed. On-campus labs, clinics and studios are cancelled today. Child Care Centre Care Centres will remain closed. All virtual classes/services will run as scheduled.

Home Indigenous Education Indigenous Student Self-Identification - FAQs

Indigenous Student Self-Identification - FAQs

Indigenous Student Self-Identification - FAQs

Who can self-identify as an Indigenous person?

Anyone can self-identify as an Indigenous person if they believe they are related to or descended from the Original peoples of Canada.

Centennial College uses the term Indigenous in reference to both the legal definition provided in Section 35(2) of the Canadian Constitution, which defines Indigenous peoples as Indian (First Nation), Métis or Inuit, and in the spirit of this definition, to include any individual who has ancestry to or is descended from the Original peoples of Canada.

Any student who believes that they meet either the legal definition or the spirit and intent of the definition is encouraged to self-identify.

Centennial College acknowledges that students may prefer to identify using different terms that more accurately reflect their own definition or perception of identity.

How does self-identifying benefit me?

If the College knows you are of Indigenous identity or ancestry, relevant information may be sent directly to you. This may include information about specific Indigenous bursaries or other financial assistance, notice of cultural events, referrals to support services, access to cultural and lounge space for Indigenous students and invitations to participate in a variety of relevant activities.

Also, when you self-identify as an Indigenous person, it benefits others by helping to build a sense of community and pride among Indigenous learners at Centennial College.

Why is Centennial College asking me to self-identify?

The Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities and Centennial College recognize that education is an important part of improving lifelong opportunities for Indigenous people. Centennial College is committed to:

  • Developing strategies to encourage Indigenous students to participate in post-secondary education and training.
  • Reaching out to Indigenous students at the College and encouraging active participation in cultural events or activities.
  • Involving Indigenous students in continuing to build a proud and respectful community of Indigenous learners.
  • Providing the services and supports to assist Indigenous students to successfully graduate.

In order to appropriately plan for and deliver programs, services, supports and opportunities that are relevant to Indigenous students, Centennial College needs to know how many Indigenous students are applying to or enrolled at the College. This information also helps us measure the success of our efforts.

Who will have access to my information about self-identification?

All student information collected is legally protected under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The Student Records department would have access to this information. It may also be accessed by the Student Life and Student Financial Services Departments so they can communicate information specific to Indigenous students.

What does the College do with the information collected about self-identification?

The College uses the information in a variety of ways:

  • Our Student Life and Student Financial Services departments use this knowledge to communicate information that supports Indigenous students on campus both socially and financially.
  • Centennial College uses the information to officially report progress on our goals related to Indigenous education to the Board of Governors and the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.

Will I have to prove I am Indigenous?

This process is voluntary in nature, and you are not required to prove your Indigenous identity.

How do I self-identify?

  • Self-identification can be done at our Centennial Welcomes Orientations for new students.
  • If you are a current student, you can provide the information to Enrolment Services or the Student Life Department.
  • Self-identification can be done any time of the year, as long as you are a registered student of the College.