Waste Reduction Week
Waste Reduction Week
Date: October 19, 2020, toOctober 25, 2020
Waste Reduction Week in Canada is here!
From October 19-25 2020 we will be celebrating our environmental efforts and achievements while also encouraging new innovative ideas and solutions. During this week and all year, Waste Reduction Week (WRW) programs empower all Canadians to adopt more environmentally conscious choices. WRW in Canada further provides information and ideas to reduce waste in daily living, creating solutions to the many environmental challenges we face including climate change, water pollution and preservation of natural resources.
This year’s WRW theme is the Circular Economy and each day of the week offers a different focus, in which participants can learn, reflect and engage. We have rounded up some fun resources to get you started!
Circular Economy Monday
- Register and tune into the webinar titled, Circular Economy: Making the most of what we have and giving back to the plant; on Oct 19 from 11:00-11:45am
- Take some time to explore the Ellen Macarthur Foundation, a leader in developing and promoting the idea of the circular economy
- Register and tune into the webinar titled, Philosophy Behind Sustainable Fashion; on Oct 20 from 6-8 pm
- Learn the importance of technology and the circular economy; why it’s important to reduce, reuse and repair before we recycle, HERE
- Find out where you can drop off your old electronics for recycling if they can longer be reused or repaired, HERE
- Register and tune into the webinar titled, Closing the Loop: Increasing Post-Consumer Recycled Content for Circular Outcomes
- Do you live in an apartment or condo in the City of Toronto? If you do, you may be interested to learn more about The 3Rs Ambassador Program webinar on Oct 22 from 10-11 am
- Did you know Centennial College has a Personal Protective Equipment Recycling Program, find out more HERE
- Find out tips about how you can utilize Centennial College’s waste sorter system and organics collection program to prevent contamination and increase recovery rates HERE
Food Waste Friday
- Discover 5 easy ways to end food waste, from David Suzuki’s Queen of Green
- Register and tune into Food Waste Recipe Workshop, on Oct 23 from 7-8 pm
Sharing Economy & Swap Repair Weekend
- Avid cyclist? Beginner? Be sure to register for DIY Bicycle Repair Virtual Workshops on Oct 24 from 12-1 pm
- Visit the Scarborough Community Bicycle Swap Event on Oct 24 from 9 am-12 pm to up-cycle your unwanted bicycle and parts
- Eco Fair Toronto is inviting you to view the film Microplastic Madness and join the film discussion on Oct 25 from 4-5:30 pm, click HERE for details
Join the conversation, tell us how you are reducing waste at home and in your community, be sure to use #CCSustainability and #WasteReductionWeek.